I am at my best when crafting solutions from ambiguity; an ability drawn from more than a decade engaging customers and five years mastering the art of leading innovative teams and design. Thoughtful strategy, a propensity for user-centeredness and cross-disciplinary collaboration are at the heart of how I work. My super powers include:
Developing & Executing Strategy – Building plans that empower people to make good decisions.
Leading People – Cultivating creative people and teams who shine.
Creative Direction – Bringing art to life through vision and collaboration.
Communication Design – Pulling audiences in with creative strategy, copy and design.
Leading Innovation – Exploring and iterating in untried spaces.
Director of Working Examples, Carnegie Mellon University, Entertainment Technology Ctr. (2012 – 2015)
At Working Examples, I turned a big, theoretical idea into an exciting community of innovators who are changing education and a platform for their collaboration that “houses some of the most cutting edge work in the field”. That transformation was realized through the development of a shared vision, engaged users, intense collaborations and iterating like crazy. A few of my key accomplishments include:
- Leading a highly collaborative design and development process, resulting in a site that our users consistently said is beautiful, intuitive and easy to use.
- Growing the skills, creativity and confidence of a cross-disciplinary team.
- Leading my team and community members in the discovery and realization of Working Examples’ best uses and its potential and actual value.
- Realizing consistent, grassroots site growth over three years.
- Developing a national network of partners, mentors and advocates in education technology and games.
- Effectively managing $1.8 million in grants, working under budget all three years.
- Recruiting, managing and engaging our organization’s board of respected advisors.
- Speaking nationally about innovation, design strategy and collaboration.
Marketing and Management Consultant (2007 to 2012)
In my consulting work, I collaborated with my clients to solve problems and elevate their businesses through a variety of organizational, marketing, communications and design solutions. A few of my key accomplishments include:
- Excellent work and client service resulting in 90% of projects coming from repeat clients.
- Successfully managing deadline-driven, multidisciplinary project teams of up to 30 people.
- Developing a firm’s internal writing and design style guide that was adopted nationally.
- Photography and copywriting appearing in national advertising campaigns in South Africa.
- Departmental and policy design at the corporate and regional level.
- Developing new and existing branding elements: brand promise, brand strategy, visual and written.
- Coaching managers on management best practices and getting the best from their teams.
Marketing Manager, Waterleaf Architecture (2005 to 2007)
At Waterleaf, I led marketing efforts across eight market segments, working with the firm’s leadership and design staff to guide our marketing and business development efforts, as well as our internal organizational and talent strategies. This work was accomplished by:
- Elevating our brand experience through strategy, design, voice and client experiences.
- Creating a more client-focused approach to business development and marketing strategy that led to an 80% success rate on client proposals.
- Connecting with clients and local stakeholders through creative approaches to strategy.
- Successfully managing deadline-driven, multidisciplinary project teams of up to 15 people.
Marketing Manager, James D. Graham & Associates (2004 to 2005)
I was this company’s first marketer, working closely with the firm’s leadership and engineers to build and implement more effective marketing communications and strategies.
- Developed all of our new branch office’s marketing materials (design and copywriting).
- Redesigned company’s website (design and copywriting).
Marketing Coordinator & Office Manager, DCI Engineers (2000 to 2004)
I was DCI Engineers Portland’s office’s first marketer and office manager, collaborating with numerous corporate departments to support our office’s work.
- Developed all of our new branch office’s marketing collateral (design and copywriting).
- Redesigned DCI’s corporate website (design and copywriting).
- Acted as liaison for corporate finance and local project accounting.
- Acted as liaison for corporate HR, supporting employee engagement and onboarding.